Friday, May 6, 2011

T-minus 3 days

While I love my beloved iPhone it isn't the most functional piece of hardware when one surfs the Internet with a laptop at work and comes home to no Internet at all and must still function with with navigating, changing, setting up and doing things online.

Don't get me wrong the iPhone has improved heaps and I'm sure the technology from Cupertino will continue to astound, but adjusting from one media to another can be like exercising the right and left side of the brain at the same time - it hurts a little some times. You need to be quick in moving those thumbs around the screen to type. What has usually been only been uses for the space bar has now been moved to all ends of the keyboard!!

Anyway, hopefully, should the Telstra juggernaut deem I am worthy the Internet will be here and I will be released back into the wild next week.

While a couple of things have gone wrong since moving into our new beloved home I'm hoping the Internet installation will not be one of them.

Who did we go through?

Interestingly I considered several different companies and alternatives when I researched through the gamut of ISPs offered today. Initially I was all for getting cable broadband but after finding that only two companies offered it - Optus & Telstra (which I'm sure they're being highly competitive over) I thought it best to look at other options.

First there was the prospect of naked broadband but then it seemed too... meh... the price of having a normal land line (paying land line rental fees) really was cheaper!

So I've opted to go with TPG as they also provided me with a good deal on mobile plans too.

Currently I am on Vodafone as my wife is with them too and Vodafone have this deal where if you talk to other Vodafone mobiles it's free! Woohoo! This worked out great for us, however, the measly 250MB of Internet has since cost us a heap since using it this month (did I mention that we have no Internet yet??).

Added to that the frustrations I, my wife and no doubt the countless other Vodafone users have experienced - the service is really sub par. And in fact management know this as they sent me a nice letter stating that by October this year things would be much better.

While I appreciated the fact that Vodafone didn't call me once every three months asking if I wanted to go on the next plan (*cough* Optus *cough*), I had no qualms in moving over to another provider.

So hopefully TPG can provide! And we shall see this Monday if they do! Can I survive another weekend??

No comments:

Post a Comment